DM Blog (Dubai Marina)


Dubai luxury for only $0.80 per hour, Thank the Laborers!

ArabicFrançais/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified
Copy Arabic link to URL bar or open in new tab.

Friday, January 06, 2006

If Buildings Could Speak

One of the first things as a kid that I thought I wanted to become was an architect. My fascination began with the monuments of ancient civilizations. Those old movies depicting ancient Rome, Greece and Egypt captured my imagination. Modern architecture interested me as well. When I was 7 years old I went on a family trip from my native Louisiana to the US capital in Washington D.C. That was in 1968. One of the most memorable moments was riding on an expressway through Richmond, Virginia. The image stored in my memory is that of riding between a canyon of skyscrapers, like those on Sheikh Zayed Road. Although I've never since passed through Richmond Virginia, I rather doubt that it ever was anything like SZR--but through a child's eyes it was nothing less than spectacular.

Years have passed and I never did take up architecture. I became a teacher instead. It was from another early interest I had, in seeing different people and different places. I find myself in the UAE now and the interest in architecture is once again rekindled. This time by all the amazing projects under development in Dubai. Part of my self-appointed mission is to do a feature on each tower of the Dubai Marina. A monumental task one might say given the almost countless number of towers being constructed there. But there are things to fascinate at every turn.

I have thus far covered 9 projects, the Dubai Marina Phase 1--Emaar's intial Dubai Marina project--the MAG 218, which is of particular interst to me as a buyer of a unit there, Marina Heights, the Torch, Marina Pinnacle and other towers in that vicinity. As I prowl the internet for info and images and then set out to compose a review, I start to find that there is a lot more to each tower or project than raw stats. Of course, the height of the tower, the dimensions of its flats and the like are things I want to know about. But delving further I find each one has a unique character and a story of some kind to tell.

One is that of Le Rêve. The building itself is so inauspicious that I hardly gave it a second glance. What I came to discover, however, is that it represents the pinnacle of luxury. Having been designed by the same architects who created the Burj Al Arab, this tower is all about distinction and privalege.

Then there are the Princess and 23 Marina towers. Each is vying for title as the tallest residential tower in the world. One is staking its claim at 100 floors and the other at 90. But with construction of both towers only just getting udnerway it is certain that one or the other will spring something new in order to surpass the other.

23 Marina, in fact, shouldn't even have to rely on its claim as tallest residential tower to gain distinction. It will have other amazing features like a 6-storey lobby and small swimming pools on the balconies of its 48 duplex apartments.

Finally, there is the Marina Crown. The story it has to tell is more like a televison drama. It starts with the anouncement of yet another exclusive tower for the Dubai Marina. It plays out with beautiful images of a tower whose podium is clad with columns and classical trimming--like a rich colonial hotel. The tower is crowned, of course, with a tall, dinstinctive green roof. But as the story unfolds, the building's on-site billboard display is abruptly removed. After two months what emerges is a tower re-designed with its crown clipped. "How can the Marina Crown be stripped of its crown!" I and many others wonder. Something tells me this story has a few more twists and turns ahead.

Now, when I look at the towers rising at the Marina, I realize there is much more to see than a facade or concrete frame. I know now that each one has a unique story to tell. Each has its own special features and qualities.

Go to DM Blog latest posts, Dubai Marina Communities or MAG 218 Community homepage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home